Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Crash

Crash
                I liked this movie, but I found it to be offensive and very controversial. The beginning threw me off and was confusing, I think it was out of place and unnecessary to begin it that way. However, as the movie progressed I understood the beginning scene. The rest of the movie seemed to be unorganized and choppy, but I realized that was because this movie was about many different stories and how these people’s lives were intermingled through unexpected ways. I liked how real and raw this movie was, it portrayed how racism is really viewed and dealt with by different ethnicity's. There were many scenes that were offensive to different races, which made the movie real because racism is still a huge issue in the world today.
                The movie had a lot to do with personal biases that different ethnicity's have towards one another. It gave insight to how people treat one another differently because of the color of their skin, which is very sad, but unfortunately true. It proved that based on what we have been taught, how we have been raised, and what we have experienced affects how we act, respond, and react to different people. The film also stereotyped different races and what is “expected” of them by the majority group. It made stereotypes real and it also made them questionable. There were some things that were expected by a certain ethnicity, but in the film they broke the stereotype. On the other hand, there were things that were expected by a certain group and they were carried out by them. It was controversial because it gave a typical stereotype for a variety of ethnicity's, but stereotypes are not held by everyone of a particular group.
                The theme of this film was the struggle that all of the individuals were dealing with based on their ethnicity. Each person had a separate, individual struggle, but they were all united because everyone had to deal with some type of personal struggle due to their ethnical background. The main concern of the film was racism, but more specifically, it was biases and stereotyping. Each individual story was connected through each person’s beliefs about others. The film was very ambitious in looking at racism in the core of modern society. It allowed the viewer to see how others, different from themselves, view racism. The film was not afraid to show the truth behind racism and how it affects our daily lives. I think that this film took a huge risk, but the risk is what makes that movie so interesting.
                This film makes a huge social statement. It shows the truth behind racism, stereotyping, and personal biases. Each story within the film has a separate struggle, but at the core of each struggle is how people discriminate other ethnicities. The film communicates its point very well, through depicting different points of view. The film doesn’t show how just one group struggles with discrimination, but how all people have to deal with their own struggles within society. This film definitely made an impact in how I think and stereotype different racial groups. It tries to influence us into thinking differently and not being so close minded. The film tries to change how we think of other people and how we act towards them. The film attempts to interpret how life really is and it gave me a sense of how our actions and words really affect others. The film was very emotional because the stories within it were so real. It gave an array of emotions through different situations. I think that the whole film was emotional; there was no time within the film that lacked emotion.  
                Overall I really enjoyed this film. It allowed me to reflect on my own beliefs towards others. I was able to question myself and how I act towards different ethnical groups. I thought about my personal biases I have towards different races and I questioned myself to why I have them. The movie really made me think about what I truly believe. I think that everyone is racist on some level; I think it is normal for people to discriminate, but I don’t know exactly why I believe this. I think it has to do with how we are raised, what we see in the media, and our life experiences. I would recommend this film to everyone, it teaches about the affects of racial discrimination and it allows us to reflect on and question our own personal views and beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment