Thursday, June 30, 2011

Titanic

Titanic
                I love this movie; it is probably one of my all time favorites. I love the storyline; it’s a love story that has all the elements. A high class female meets a low class man and the rest is history. The story has love, hate, discrimination, defying the odds, and tragedy. All of these elements work together to create an amazing story of two young adults who find love where they least expected it. This movie is a classic chick flick that makes me laugh and cry every time. I have seen this film many times, but I have never really analyzed it.
                The film incorporates flashbacks to tell the story. The beginning is present time, Rose is old and she has buried her past life into her memory and she doesn’t speak of it. During the present time, there is a group of men trying to find the heart of the ocean, which is a large blue diamond that Rose had previously owned. The main story of the film, about life on the Titanic, is a flashback of Rose’s memory, she is telling the story from her perspective, but the viewers see it from an outside view. This allows the viewers and the men searching for the diamond, to see what life was like on the unsinkable boat. This film was interesting because it was not only a story about Rose, but about the Titanic as a whole. It also allowed the viewers to see how the water had destroyed something that a one time was so beautiful.
                Rose’s story touched those that she had told. These men were searching for her diamond and they had spent a good portion of their lives trying to recover it. After Rose shared her story with these men, they had a different outlook on their operation. They realized that there are much more important things in life, then riches. Rose used her experiences to help others, she did not regret anything and she did not take anything for granted, and this type of outlook really touched these men.
                The acting in this film was amazing and so was the choice of casting. The characters had the whole package, from their appearance to their acting. Rose was high class; she had beautiful porcelain skin, which made it appear that she was an ‘indoor’ type of person. She wore extravagant dresses and always looked as though she was dressed to impress. She used very proper English; she came across as an obedient and well mannered young adult. Jack was the complete opposite of Rose, which is what made their story so remarkable. Jack wore brown, burlap type clothing, and he put little effort into his appearance. He was dirty, rugged, and careless, living life one day at a time. He spoke with sloppy slang English and he was very straight forward, with a lack of manners.
                The best part about this movie is how different these two people are, yet they are the same. Rose is struggling with her prestigious life and she yearns for adventure. Jack lives a life of adventure and he is ready to settle down. Despite their differences, they find what they are looking for within one another. They complete each other and bring out the best in one another. Rose is able to cut loose while Jack is able to feel secure that she will be there for him. They both have to deal with their own issues, but when they are together, nothing else matters.
                The music used in this film really helps to depict and convey the mood of each scene. The music really touched me and contributed to what and how I felt throughout the film. The most moving music was towards the end of the film, when the titanic is slowly sinking into the dark unknown of the sea. It’s slow and sad, just like the tragedy unfolding in front of us. This music made me feel what I imagined the passengers were feeling. I was sad, scared, unsure, and worried about what would happen next. I felt the heart break of the mother lying her children to sleep. I felt the love the old couple had for one another as they laid in bed to go to sleep. I was an emotional wreck during these scenes, but they were so powerful that I couldn’t fight back my own emotions. I could see their pain and I felt their sadness.
                I really love this film, everything about it. It’s a powerful love story that is touching and moving. It allowed me to reflect on how lucky I am to have all of the people I love in my life. I can’t imagine losing them, and this film helped me reflect on how grateful I am for all of them. It’s an eye opener to what is important in life, the people we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment